- Smart Grid Technologies and Applications
- Power Electronic Converter Modulation and Control
- Converter Current Regulation
- Active Power Electronic Filters
- Resonant Converters
- Current Source Converters
- Multilevel Converters
- Digital Control of Power Electronic Converters
- 25 years experience developing power electronic converters for specialist industrial applications.
- Established and managed Power Electronics Group at Monash University for 10 years to provide industry development and consulting services for power electronic converters in traction, power quality measurement, PV inverters
- Provide specialist consulting to solve industry problems with power electronic conversion systems
- Expert witness for electrical and electronic technology applications
Particular Industry Development Projects
- Development of a range of leading edge DSP based power electronic inverters and battery chargers for railway traction applications, ranging in power from 500W up to 30 KVA.
- Design of an intrinsically safe 12V power supply for mining applications.
- Development of a range of high accuracy CT and PT test systems, for use in the electrical power industry.
- Development of a range of DSP based inverter controller cards to control voltage source inverters over a power range of 5 kVA to 250 kVA. These controllers have been used both by other universities and in commercial inverter systems.
- “Optimum Control of Modular Multilevel Power Electronic Converters for Electrical Distribution Networks”, ARC Discovery Grant, 2006-2008, $325,000 total (sole Chief Investigator)
- “Improving Power Quality in Electrical Distribution Systems using Multiple and/or Distributed Power Electronics Converters”, ARC Large Grant 2000-2002, $224,000 total (co-Chief Investigator)
- “Development Design and Experimental Demonstration of a Power Electronic Fault Current Limiter for Electricity Distribution System - Stage 3”, Final Stage of ARC Linkage Grant, 1996-2002, $428,000 total funding over the project life, Industry Partner Funding $110,000 in 2002 for final stage.
- M.Eng. Sci
- PhD, Monash University
- 1975-1980: SECV, Power Systems Control Engineer
- 1981 – 1983: Lecturer, Electrical Engineering Dept, University of Melbourne
- 1984 – 2010: Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor, Dept of Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering, Monash University
- 2010 – present: Innovation Professor – Smart Energy, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT University
- Cpeng, IEAust
- Chartered Professional Engineer, Institution of Engineers Australia,
- Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
- Member-at-large, Adcom, IEEE Power Electronics Society
- Sun, Y.,Teixeira, C.,Holmes, G.,McGrath, B.,Zhao, J. (2018). Low-order circulating current suppression of PWM-based modular multilevel converters using DC-link voltage compensation In: IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 33, 210 - 225
- Riedel, J.,Holmes, G.,McGrath, B.,Teixeira, C. (2017). ZVS soft switching boundaries for dual active bridge DC-DC converters using frequency domain analysis In: IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 32, 3166 - 3179
- Anthon, A.,Zhang, Z.,Andersen, M.,Holmes, G.,McGrath, B.,Teixeira, C. (2017). The benefits of SiC MOSFETs in a t-type inverter for grid-tie applications In: IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 32, 2808 - 2821
- Anthon, A.,Zhang, Z.,Andersen, M.,Holmes, G.,McGrath, B.,Teixeira, C. (2017). Comparative evaluation of the loss and thermal performance of advanced three-level inverter topologies In: IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 53, 1381 - 1389
- Riedel, J.,Holmes, G.,McGrath, B.,Teixeira, C. (2017). Active suppression of selected DC bus harmonics for dual active bridge DC-DC converters In: IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 32, 8857 - 8867
- Hu, C.,Yu, X.,Holmes, G.,Shen, W.,Wang, Q.,Luo, F.,Liu, N. (2017). An improved virtual space vector modulation scheme for three-level active neutral-point-clamped inverter In: IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 32, 7419 - 7434
- McGrath, B.,Teixeira, C.,Holmes, G. (2017). Optimized phase disposition (PD) modulation of a modular multilevel converter In: IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 53, 4624 - 4633
- Teixeira, C.,Riedel, J.,Holmes, G.,McGrath, B. (2017). Wide range ZVS operation of three-phase dual active bridge converters using reduced coupling factor transformers In: 2017 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), Cincinnati, United States, 1-5 October 2017
- Meegahapola, L.,Ullah Nutkani, I.,McGrath, B.,Holmes, D. (2017). Fault ride-through capability of hybrid AC/DC microgrids during AC and DC network faults In: 2017 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), Cincinnati, United States, 1-5 October 2017
- McGrath, B.,Holmes, G. (2017). Anti-windup control for stationary frame current regulators using digital conditioning architectures In: 2017 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), Cincinnati, United States, 1-5 October 2017
- Regulation of the Cell Bus Voltages of Large Scale Modular Multilevel Converters: Advanced Energy Converters for Future Electricity Grids. Funded by: ARC Discovery Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2016)
- Solid State Regulation of a Distribution Transformer to Rapidly Control Voltages of Low Voltage Distribution Feeders. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant 2013 from (2014 to 2016)
- Practice-based Systematized Nomenclature (SNOMED) concept learning for drug-disease precaution early detection and refinement. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project Grant 2010 Round 2 from (2011 to 2015)
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
10 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions4 PhD Current Supervisions
Electrical energy conversion, Smart energy, Renewable energy, Power electronics, Electrical power generation, Transmission and distribution