Professor Dr Martyn Hook is Dean, School of Architecture and Urban Design.
Professor Martyn Hook is Deputy Pro Vice-Chancellor Partnerships of the College of Design and Social Context (DSC) at RMIT University. He leads College activity in government and industry partnerships as they relate to Learning and Teaching including Partnered Projects, WIL, Internships and their interface with Research. DSC is one of three academic colleges at RMIT consisting of seven schools and 25,000 students across a broad range of disciplines and with presence in Vietnam, Barcelona, Singapore and China. Martyn has also led university-wide projects in relation to campus development (particularly new types of learning space), digital strategy and student experience.
Martyn is Dean of the School of Architecture and Urban Design at RMIT University, consisting of multiple creative disciplines including Design Innovation and Technology, Interior Design, Landscape Architecture and Urban Design. Prior to this appointment, he was Acting Head of the School of Art. Martyn has particular expertise in the implementation of strategic vision in creative practice and driving organisational change through the lens of an integrated scholarship model that links teaching and research.
Martyn is Professor of Architecture in the School of Architecture and Urban Design and over the past 20 years has been a significant contributor to the ongoing success of the RMIT Architecture Program. He was the Founding Director of the RMIT School of Architecture and Design Postgraduate Program in Europe, Practice Research Symposium PRS_EU, which gathers a collection of European based practitioners to engage in research through design practice. This program was the recipient of a major $4M EU Grant under the Marie Curie Actions. He is also contributed significantly to the development of the PRS_Asia which commenced at RMIT Vietnam in 2012.
Within his industry focus, Martyn also maintains his role as Director of multi-award winning iredale pedersen hook architects, a studio practice based in Melbourne and Perth, dedicated to appropriate design of effective sustainable buildings with a responsible environmental and social agenda.
As an architect and critic, Martyn has lectured internationally on his own practice and more broadly on Australian architecture in London, Auckland, Bern, Vienna, Ghent, Aarhus, Rome, Kuala Lumpur, Barcelona, the Bauhaus (Dessau) and recently in Chennai and Bangalore. He has been Guest Professor at TU Wien, University of Innsbruck and Hochschule Wismar, and Visiting Critic at the Bartlett School of Architecture UCL, the Mackintosh School of Architecture, Glasgow, Sheffield University, the University of Brighton and Westminster University London, KU Leuven's Sint Lucas School of Architecture Ghent, London Metropolitan University, Auckland University of Technology.
- Hook, M.,Iredale, A.,Pedersen, F. (2018). Highgate Primary School In: 2018 National Architecture Awards Melbourne, Australia
- Hook, M.,Iredale, A.,Pedersen, F.,Lyon, C.,Carter, P. (2018). Manatj Park Perth City Link Project In: Colorbond Award for Steel Architecture - Commendation Perth, Australia
- Lyon, C.,Hook, M.,Iredale, A.,Pedersen, I. (2018). Yagan Square In: Award for Excellence in Urban Renewal Perth, Australia
- Attali, E.,Hook, M. (2018). Australia In: Periphery: Archaeology of Light Berlin, Germany
- Hook, M. (2017). Gusto Gelato kiosk In: Commercial Architecture Award, 2017 WA Architecture Awards Perth, Australia
- Hook, M. (2017). Fitzroy Crossing Renal Hostel In: Best Use of Colour Award Berlin, Germany
- Hook, M.,Guthrie, H. (2017). Vasse Felix Winery In: Commendation for Interior Architecture at Western Australia Architecture Awards Perth, Australia
- Hook, M.,Iredale, A.,Pedersen, I. (2017). Falcon Beach House In: World Architecture Festival Awards 2017: House category - shortlist Berlin, Germany
- Hook, M. (2016). Applecross House In: Grand Prix and Horbury Hunt Residential Award Sydney, Australia
- Hook, M. (2016). Mosman Bay Residence In: Commendation for Residential Architecture - Houses (New) Award at 2016 WA Architecture Awards Perth, Australia
- The Global Academy: Establishment of office and operation of a pilot program. Funded by: Competitive - Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources from (2018 to 2019)
- Architecture, Design and Art Practice Training - research: ADAPT-r. Funded by: European Commission Seventh Framework Programme Grant pre-2014 from (2013 to 2016)
21 PhD Completions8 PhD Current Supervisions