Associate Professor Vivian Mitsogianni is Deputy Dean of Architecture and Urban Design at RMIT.
Vivian was the founding research leader of the Future Fabric of Cities flagship research program in the RMIT Design Research Institute (2009–2013) and has expertise in facilitating processes for design innovation by combining experimental design practice research and ‘real world’ industry-linked projects.
Prior to starting this role, Vivian was responsible for curating the Master of Architecture Design Studios (2001–2009), where she commissioned a number of studios by leading venturous local and international design practices. She has extensive experience in Architectural practice, is a registered Architect and is on the Education Committee of the Australian Institute of Architects (AIA), having also held a position on the AIA Chapter Council (2000–2002).
Vivian undertakes practice-based design research with a focus on experimental design processes, and she is often called as an expert internationally on architectural design research.
Her PhD (2009), 'White noise PANORAMA: Process-based Architectural Design', has been widely acknowledged as a significant contribution to the field of design process. Her own design projects, speculative and critical commentary and research-led speculative design studios have been widely published and exhibited internationally.
- Mitsogianni, V.,Milbourne, B.,Doyle, J.,Macasaet, P. (2018). Practice Futures 1: Digital Fabrication and Future Practice In: Architects Registration Board of Victoria Melbourne, Australia
- Mitsogianni, V.,Jacques, M.,Boothroyd, D.,Martinez, K.,Newnham, C.,Sheehan, T.,Tuckman, L.,Kounnapis, K.,Dusanovic, L. (2016). Haven't you always wanted...? In: 2016 NGV Architecture Commission Melbourne, Australia
- Greuter, S.,Mitsogianni, V.,Jacques, M.,Boothroyd, D.,Newnham, C.,Martinez, K. (2016). If Only... In: If Only... Enter A Virtual World Of Design Melbourne, Victoria
- Mitsogianni, V. (2015). Doubt, dilemma and building the impossible: Speculations on ARM's experiments with process and technique In: Mongrel Rapture: The architecture of Ashton Raggatt McDougall, Uro Publications, Melbourne, Australia
- Mitsogianni, V. (2015). Failure can be cathartic! The design studio - speculating on three themes In: Studio Futures: Changing trajectories in architectural education, Uro Publications, Melbourne, Australia
- Mitsogianni, V. (2015). Wonderstuff and turbulence: The RMIT building 36 project In: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference of the Association of Architecture Schools of Australasia, Christchurch, New Zealand, 2-3 October 2015
- Mitsogianni, V. (2014). (The possibility of) uncertain conditions In: Architectural Design Research Symposium, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
- Mitsogianni, V. (2014). white noise PANORAMA In: The Practice of Spatial Thinking: Differentiation Processes Melbourne, Australia
- Mitsogianni, V. (2013). White noise panorama process-based architectural design: Reflections on a PHD by project and design practice research In: Knowing (by) Designing, LUCA, Sint-Lucas School of Architecture, KU Leuven, Faculty of Architecture, Ghent, Brussels
- Mitsogianni, V. (2013). The speculative campus project and the formfield series In: Design / Education: Proceedings of the 7th International Conference of the Association of Architecture Schools of Australasia, Victoria, Australia, 3 - 5 October, 2013
3 PhD Current Supervisions9 PhD Completions
- DAP_r Design and Architecture Practice Research. Funded by: Office for Learning and Teaching Grant 2015 from (2016 to 2018)
- Architecture, Design and Art Practice Training - research: ADAPT-r. Funded by: European Commission Seventh Framework Programme Grant pre-2014 from (2013 to 2016)