Professor Mark Sanderson is the Discipline Head of the Information Storage Analysis and Retrieval group in the School of Computer Science and Information Technology. Professor Mark Sanderson is a researcher in information retrieval. He works on the evaluation of search engines, summarisation, geographic search and log analysis.
Professor Sanderson is a researcher in information retrieval (IR) (e.g. web search engines). He is particularly interested in evaluation of search engines, but also works in geographic search, cross language IR (CLIR), summarisation, image retrieval by captions and word sense ambiguity.
Mark is an Associate Editor of ACM Transactions on the Web and IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering. He is co-editor of Foundations and Trends in Information Retrieval and a visiting professor at the National Institute of Informatics (NII) in Tokyo.
Mark is the Deputy Head (Research) for the School of Computer Science and Information Technology. He teaches usability courses in the School.
- PhD (Sci) Glasgow
- BSc Hons, Glasgow
- Trippas, J.,Spina, D.,Thomas, P.,Sanderson, M.,Joho, H.,Cavedon, L. (2020). Towards a model for spoken conversational search In: Information Processing & Management, 57, 1 - 19
- Trippas, J.,Spina, D.,Scholer, F.,Hassan, A.,Bailey, P.,Bennett, P.,White, R.,Liono, J.,Ren, Y.,Salim, F.,Sanderson, M. (2019). Learning About Work Tasks to Inform Intelligent Assistant Design In: CHIIR '19 Proceedings of the 2019 Conference on Human Information Interaction and Retrieval, Glasgow, Scotland UK, March 10 - 14, 2019
- Aladhadh, S.,Zhang, J.,Sanderson, M. (2019). Location impact on source and linguistic features for information credibility of social media In: Online Information Review, 43, 89 - 112
- Roitero, K.,Culpepper, S.,Sanderson, M.,Scholer, F.,Mizzaro, S. (2019). Fewer topics? A million topics? Both?! On topics subsets in test collections In: Information Retrieval Journal, , 1 - 37
- Ferro, N.,Kim, Y.,Sanderson, M. (2019). Using collection shards to study retrieval performance effect sizes In: ACM Transactions on Information Systems, 37, 1 - 1
- Yuan, C.,Bao, Z.,Sanderson, M.,Tang, Y. (2019). Incorporating word attention with convolutional neural networks for abstractive summarization In: World Wide Web, , 1 - 21
- Liono, J.,Trippas, J.,Spina, D.,Saiedur Rahaman, M.,Ren, Y.,Salim, F.,Sanderson, M.,Scholer, F.,White, R. (2019). Building a Benchmark for Task Progress in Digital Assistants In: Proceedings of Task Intelligence Workshop at WSDM 2019, Melbourne, Australia, February 11th--15th, 2019
- Mao, J.,Spina, D.,Sadeghi, S.,Scholer, F.,Sanderson, M. (2019). Investigating the Learning Process in Job Search: A Longitudinal Study In: Proceedings of the 28th ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, Beijing, China, November 03 - 07, 2019
- P.V.S., A.,Ren, Y.,Meyer, C.,Chan, J.,Bao, Z.,Sanderson, M. (2019). J3R: Joint Multi-task Learning of Ratings and Review Summaries for Explainable Recommendation In: Proceedings of the 16th European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases (ECML PKDD 2019), W�rzburg, Germany, 16-20 September 2019
- Kaur, M.,Salim, F.,Ren, Y.,Chan, J.,Tomko, M.,Sanderson, M. (2018). Shopping intent recognition and location prediction from cyber-physical activities via Wi-Fi logs In: Proceedings of the 5th Conference on Systems for Built Environments, Shenzhen, China, 07-08 November 2018
- Finding answers for complex questions. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2018 from (2018 to 2021)
- A cyber physical and socially aware personal assistant. Funded by: Microsoft Corporation (USA) - research grant 2018 from (2018 to 2020)
- Linked semantic platforms for social & physical infrastructure & wellbeing (administered by Swinburne University of Technology). Funded by: ARC Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities (LIEF) Grant 2018 from (2018 to 2020)
- Rygbee Campus. Funded by: Rygbee USA - Scholarship from (2018 to 2022)
- Continuous and summarised search over evolving heterogeneous data. Funded by: 010-ARC Discovery Projects 2017 from (2017 to 2019)
12 PhD Completions6 PhD Current Supervisions