Professor Mark Sanderson is the Discipline Head of the Information Storage Analysis and Retrieval group in the School of Computer Science and Information Technology. Professor Mark Sanderson is a researcher in information retrieval. He works on the evaluation of search engines, summarisation, geographic search and log analysis.
Professor Sanderson is a researcher in information retrieval (IR) (e.g. web search engines). He is particularly interested in evaluation of search engines, but also works in geographic search, cross language IR (CLIR), summarisation, image retrieval by captions and word sense ambiguity.
Mark is an Associate Editor of ACM Transactions on the Web and IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering. He is co-editor of Foundations and Trends in Information Retrieval and a visiting professor at the National Institute of Informatics (NII) in Tokyo.
Mark is the Deputy Head (Research) for the School of Computer Science and Information Technology. He teaches usability courses in the School.
- PhD (Sci) Glasgow
- BSc Hons, Glasgow
- Ren, Y.,Tomko, M.,Salim, F.,Ong, K.,Sanderson, M. (2017). Analyzing web behavior in indoor retail spaces In: Association for Information Science and Technology Journal, 68, 62 - 76
- Ren, Y.,Salim, F.,Tomko, M.,Bai, Y.,Chan, J.,Qin, K.,Sanderson, M. (2017). D-Log: A WiFi Log-based differential scheme for enhanced indoor localization with single RSSI source and infrequent sampling rate In: Pervasive and Mobile Computing, 37, 94 - 114
- Spina, D.,Trippas, J.,Cavedon, L.,Sanderson, M. (2017). Extracting audio summaries to support effective spoken document search In: Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology, 68, 2101 - 2115
- Trippas, J.,Spina, D.,Cavedon, L.,Sanderson, M. (2017). How do people interact in conversational speech-only search tasks: A preliminary analysis In: Proceedings of the Second ACM SIGIR Conference on Information Interaction and Retrieval (CHIIR 2017), Oslo, Norway, 7-11 March 2017
- Wang, S.,Bao, Z.,Culpepper, J.,Sellis, T.,Sanderson, M.,Qin, X. (2017). Answering Top-k Exemplar Trajectory Queries In: Proceedings of the 33rd IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE 2017), San Diego, CA, 19-22 April 2017
- Shariff, S.,Zhang, X.,Sanderson, M. (2017). On the credibility perception of news on Twitter: Readers, topics and features In: Computers in Human Behavior, 75, 785 - 796
- Ong, K.,Jarvelin, K.,Sanderson, M.,Scholer, F. (2017). Using information scent to understand mobile and desktop web search behavior In: Proceedings of the 40th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval (SIGIR'17), Tokyo, Japan, 7-11 August 2017
- Sadeghi, S.,Blanco Gonzalez, R.,Mika, P.,Sanderson, M.,Scholer, F.,David, V. (2017). Re-finding behaviour in vertical domains In: ACM Transactions on Information Systems (TOIS), 35, 1 - 30
- Mourad, A.,Scholer, F.,Sanderson, M. (2017). Language influences on tweeter geolocation In: Proceedings of the 39th European Conference on IR Research (ECIR 2017), Aberdeen, United Kingdom, 8-13 April 2017
- Shiga, S.,Joho, H.,Blanco Gonzalez, R.,Trippas, J.,Sanderson, M. (2017). Modelling information needs in collaborative search conversations In: Proceedings of the 40th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval (SIGIR 2017), Tokyo, Japan, 7-11 August 2017
- Continuous and summarised search over evolving heterogeneous data. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2017 from (2017 to 2019)
- EU-Pacific Partnerships for ICT (EPIC) (Horizon 2020). Funded by: Horizon 2020: ICT 2015 - Information and Communications Technologies Grant from (2017 to 2019)
- User-Adaptive Search and Evaluation for Complex Information-Seeking Tasks. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant 2015 Round 1 from (2016 to 2019)
- A Learning to Rank Framework for Entity Centrality . Funded by: Abbrevi8 Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2016)
- Effective summaries for search results. Funded by: ARC Discovery Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2016)
11 PhD Current Supervisions5 PhD Completions