Professor Mark Sanderson is the Discipline Head of the Information Storage Analysis and Retrieval group in the School of Computer Science and Information Technology. Professor Mark Sanderson is a researcher in information retrieval. He works on the evaluation of search engines, summarisation, geographic search and log analysis.
Professor Sanderson is a researcher in information retrieval (IR) (e.g. web search engines). He is particularly interested in evaluation of search engines, but also works in geographic search, cross language IR (CLIR), summarisation, image retrieval by captions and word sense ambiguity.
Mark is an Associate Editor of ACM Transactions on the Web and IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering. He is co-editor of Foundations and Trends in Information Retrieval and a visiting professor at the National Institute of Informatics (NII) in Tokyo.
Mark is the Deputy Head (Research) for the School of Computer Science and Information Technology. He teaches usability courses in the School.
- PhD (Sci) Glasgow
- BSc Hons, Glasgow
- Trippas, J.,Spina, D.,Scholer, F.,Hassan, A.,Bailey, P.,Bennett, P.,White, R.,Liono, J.,Ren, Y.,Salim, F.,Sanderson, M. (2019). Learning About Work Tasks to Inform Intelligent Assistant Design In: CHIIR '19 Proceedings of the 2019 Conference on Human Information Interaction and Retrieval, Glasgow, Scotland UK, March 10 - 14, 2019
- Roitero, K.,Culpepper, S.,Sanderson, M.,Scholer, F.,Mizzaro, S. (2019). Fewer topics? A million topics? Both?! On topics subsets in test collections In: Information Retrieval Journal, , 1 - 37
- Ren, Y.,Tomko, M.,Salim, F.,Chan, J.,Sanderson, M. (2018). Understanding the predictability of user demographics from cyber-physical-social behaviours in indoor retail spaces In: EPJ Data Science, 7, 1 - 21
- Trippas, J.,Spina, D.,Cavedon, L.,Joho, H.,Sanderson, M. (2018). Informing the design of spoken conversational search: Perspective paper In: Proceedings of the 2018 Conference on Human Information Interaction�and Retrieval (CHIIR '18), New Brunswick, United States, 11 - 15 March 2018
- Ong, K.,Jarvelin, K.,Sanderson, M.,Scholer, F. (2018). QWERTY: The effects of typing on web search behavior In: Proceedings of the 2018 Conference on Human Information Interaction�and Retrieval (CHIIR'18), New Brunswick, United States, March 11 - 15, 2018
- Salehi, B.,Spina, D.,Moffat, A.,Sadeghi, S.,Scholer, F.,Baldwin, T.,Cavedon, L.,Sanderson, M.,Wong, W.,Zobel, J. (2018). A living lab study of query amendment in job search In: Proceedings of SIGIR '18: The 41st International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research & Development in Information Retrieval, Ann Arbor, United States, 8-12 July 2018
- Priyogi, B.,Sanderson, M.,Salim, F.,Chan, J.,Tomko, M.,Ren, Y. (2018). Identifying In-App User Actions from Mobile Web Logs In: Proceedings of the 22nd Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (PAKDD 2018) Part II, Melbourne, Australia, 3-6 June 2018
- Mourad, A.,Scholer, F.,Sanderson, M.,Magdy, W. (2018). How Well Did You Locate Me? Effective Evaluation of Twitter User Geolocation In: Proceedings of the 2018 IEEE/ACM International Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining (ASONAM 2018), Barcelona, Spain, 28-31 August 2018
- Yulianti, E.,Chen, R.,Scholer, F.,Croft, B.,Sanderson, M. (2018). Ranking Documents by Answer-Passage Quality In: Proceedings of the�41st International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research�and Development in Information Retrieval (SIGIR 2018), Ann Arbor, United States, 8 - 12 July 2018
- Kaur, M.,Salim, F.,Ren, Y.,Chan, J.,Tomko, M.,Sanderson, M. (2018). Shopping intent recognition and location prediction from cyber-physical activities via Wi-Fi logs In: Proceedings of the 5th Conference on Systems for Built Environments, Shenzhen, China, 07-08 November 2018
- Finding answers for complex questions. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2018 from (2018 to 2020)
- A cyber physical and socially aware personal assistant. Funded by: Microsoft Corporation (USA) - research grant 2018 from (2018 to 2019)
- Linked semantic platforms for social & physical infrastructure & wellbeing (administered by Swinburne University of Technology). Funded by: ARC Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities (LIEF) Grant 2018 from (2018 to 2019)
- Rygbee Campus. Funded by: Rygbee USA - Scholarship from (2018 to 2022)
- Continuous and summarised search over evolving heterogeneous data. Funded by: 010-ARC Discovery Projects 2017 from (2017 to 2019)
10 PhD Current Supervisions9 PhD Completions