Dr Shi researches in the area of employment security and the law.
She is particularly interested in the legal protection of vulnerable employees and the extent to which novel approaches in law-making achieve the purpose of enhancing employment security.
She has published her research in high ranking academic law journals. She has also conducted research in multidisciplinary teams and published in industrial relations journals.
Dr Shi has achieved consistently high teaching scores and was awarded the RMIT University College of Business Award for achieving 90% or above on the overall satisfaction index. She has coordinated and taught courses in the areas of employment law, company law and law of investments.
Dr Shi was awarded numerous research grants by RMIT University, including the College of Business Research Grant and the Global Cities Research Institute Grant.
Dr Shi has previously practiced as a solicitor at a commercial law firm and as an in-house legal counsel at a medical technology company. She has also previously worked as a management consultant at a top tier consulting firm.
- Solicitor, Kahns Lawyers
- In-house Solicitor, Compumedics Medical Instruments Ltd
- Management Consultant, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Doctor of Judicial Science, La Trobe University, 2016
- Master of Laws, Monash University, 2007
- Graduate Certificate in Education, RMIT University, 2006
- Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Laws (Honours), University of Melbourne, 1999
- Shi, E. (2014). Ambiguous law: The right to bargain for job security In collective agreements In: Victoria University Law and Justice Journal, 4, 104 - 116
- Shi, E. (2012). A tiger with no teeth: Genuine redundancy and reasonable redeployment under the 'fair work act' In: University of Queensland Law Journal, 31, 101 - 114
- Creighton, B.,Shi, E. (2009). The transfer of business provisions of the fair work act in national and international context In: Australian Journal of Labour Law, 23, 39 - 59
- Stevens, A.,Shi, E. (2009). Union responses to the offshoring of call centre work In: The International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social Sciences, 4, 441 - 454
- Shi, E. (2008). Redundancy pay in Australia - before and after work choices In: Labor Law Journal, 59, 47 - 68
- Shi, E. (2007). Board Structure and Board Composition in Australia and Germany: A Comparison in the Context of Corporate Governance In: Macquarie Journal of Business Law, 4, 197 - 211