Dr Marianne Sison is a senior communication academic with extensive leadership experience, in the School of Media and Communication at RMIT.
Marianne is a senior communication academic and scholar with extensive leadership experience. In her previous role as Deputy Dean (International) in the School of Media and Communication, Marianne was responsible for strategic leadership and oversight of offshore programs, international institutional partnerships, student and staff mobility programs, international student recruitment and marketing, internationalising curriculum and research partnerships. Other leadership roles she held include: Discipline Head, Communication; Program Director, Master of Communication; and Program Director, Bachelor of Arts and Graduate Diploma (Public Relations).
Marianne has contributed to teaching and academic development of RMIT’s undergraduate and postgraduate programs in Melbourne, Singapore and Hong Kong. She has also delivered invited lectures in Canada, India, Indonesia, the Philippines, US, and Vietnam.
A Fellow of the Public Relations Institute of Australia, Marianne is convenor and founding chair of the Asia Pacific Public Relations Research and Education Network. She is a member of several international communication academic and professional associations including International Communication Association and the International Association of Business Communicators. Marianne is an Urban Scholar at RMIT’s UN Global Compact Cities Programme.
Accomplishments and awards
Erasmus+ Teaching Mobility Grant (2017) University of Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain
RMIT Foundation Visiting Fellowship (2016) $5000 for Professor Jan Servaes, Communication and Sustainable Social Change
Learning & Teaching Investment Fund (2016) $36,741 “Global Work Ready: Enhancing employability through international internships” (with Dr Alex Wake)
Page/Johnson Legacy Scholar Grant (2015-2016) $11,000 (US$8000) “Integrating Global and Local Values in CSR: A Case Study of Australia Multinational Companies”, Arthur W. Page Center for Integrity in Public Communication, Penn State University, USA (with Dr Gregoria A Yudarwati, University Atma Jaya Yogyakarta, lead investigator),
Global Cities Research Institute Grant, RMIT (2015) $13,000 “Communicating Sustainability: Leadership, Advocacy and Creativity” (with Associate Professor Chris Hudson, Professor Darryn McEvoy and Associate Professor Nattavud Pimpa)
Global Cities Research Institute, RMIT (2014) $15,000 “Community engagement and policy development in disaster mitigation in the Mekong Delta Region” (with Associate Professor Paul Battersby, Associate Professor Nattavud Pimpa and Professor Chris Ziguras)
Communication, Politics & Culture SPUR Grant (2014), $2100
Dean’s Award (2011) Outstanding Service, School of Media and Communication, RMIT University
PRism Prize (2011), co-editorship on special issue “Power and Public Relations“
Global Cities Research Institute Grant 2010 “Making sense of corporate social responsibility in the Philippines“ $4500
Stream Coordinators’ Commendation for paper titled, “Re-thinking power in public relations: A case of reluctant leadership?“, ANZCA Conference 2008, Wellington, NZ, July 2008
Awardee, Achievement in Professional Practice, Filipino-Australian Women’s Achievement Awards, Awarded December 2007, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Marianne’s research interests focus on international, multicultural and cross cultural communication, organizational values and social responsibility, global public relations and strategic communication, international education, advocacy and Southeast Asia.
Current research projects
- Global Public Relations: Social Responsibility and Education in the Asia-Pacific region
- Senior Supervisor: Romano Antonio Wamil (Australia Awards Scholar) “Examining and Enabling Community Participation in Developing Disaster Risk Communication Strategy” (MA, July 2015-present)
- Senior Supervisor: Thi Hong Phuong Phram (VIED Scholar), ‘Corporate Social Responsibility in Vietnam’ (PhD, March 2017-present)
- Senior supervisor: Dashi Zhang, PhD 2016 (Endeavour Scholar) “The Influence of Ownership and Traditional Culture on Perceptions and Practices of Corporate Social Responsibility in China”
- Senior supervisor: Rizaldi Parani, PhD 2016 (RMIT International Scholar) “Community Leaders and Community Relations Practitioners as Agents of Corporate Interests: A Case Study of Indonesian Mining ”
- Senior supervisor: Jannet Pendleton, PhD 2013, 'Public relations, discourse practice and the public interest: An analysis of a health communication campaign'.
- Senior supervisor: Gregoria Yudarwati, PhD 2011 'The Enactment of Corporate Responsibility and Public Relations Practices: Case Studies from the Indonesian Mining Industry'.
- Senior supervisor: Anthony P. Jaques, PhD 2008 'Refocusing issue management: Bridging academic and practitioner perspectives'
- Senior supervisor: Warunyar Saadeam, PhD 2002 'Cognitive Consistency in Tourism Public Relations: A case study of Thailand’s 1992 "Bloody May" incident'
- Second supervisor: Nigel Starck, MA (Research) 1998 'Accredited or discredited?: A qualitative study of public relations education at Australian universities'
- Second supervisor: Minda Diloy, MA (Research)
Doctor of Philosophy (Communication Studies) RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
Master of Arts in Mass Communication, University of Florida, Gainesville, USA
Bachelor of Arts (Broadcast Communication) University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
- Sison, M. (2017). Communicating Development: Towards Strategic, Inclusive and Creative Approaches In: International Development: A Global Perspective on Theory and Practice, Sage Publications Limited, London, United Kingdom
- Sarabia-Panol, Z.,Sison, M. (2016). We are what we teach: The impact of persuasive communication on Philippine PR history and contemporary PR education In: Public Relations Review, 42, 801 - 811
- Sison, M. (2016). Diversity and inclusion in Australian public relations: towards a multiple perspectives approach In: Media International Australia, 160, 32 - 42
- Wake, A.,Sison, M.,Muir, R. (2016). 'Global Work Ready': Enhancing employability through resourced international internships In: WIL 2020: Pushing the boundaries - Proceedings of the 2016 ACEN National Conference, Sydney, Australia, 28-30 September 2016
- Sarabia-Panol, Z.,Sison, M. (2015). Contemporary public relations education in the Philippines: Its origins, influences and challenges In: Proceedings of the International History of Public Relations Conference (IHPRC 2015), Bournemouth, United Kingdom, 8-9 July 2015
- Sison, M. (2014). Gender, culture and power: Competing discourses on the Philippine reproductive health bill In: Gender and Public Relations: Critical perspectives on voice, image and identity, Routledge, Abingdon, UK
- Sison, M.,Sarabia-Panol, Z. (2014). The Philippines In: Asian Perspectives on the Development of Public Relations: Other Voices, Palgrave Macmillan, United Kingdom
- Sarabia-Panol, Z.,Sison, M. (2014). International public relations and the circuit of culture: An analysis of Gawad Kalinga In: Asia Pacific Public Relations Journal, 14, 51 - 68
- Sison, M. (2013). Creative strategic communications: a case study of earth hour In: International Journal of Strategic Communication, 7, 227 - 240
- Sison, M. (2013). Strategic climate change campaigns: A case study of earth hour In: Proceedings of the the annual meeting of the International Communication Association, London, 17 June, 2013
- Integrating Global and Local Venues in CSR: A Case study of Australian Multinational Companies. Funded by: Arthur W. Page Center Legacy Scholars Grants 2015 from (2015 to 2016)
1 PhD (pub) Completions and 4 PhD Completions1 PhD Current Supervisions