Key focus of the degree
- the role of design in shaping cities, especially in the Australasian region
- methods of design, research, collaboration and practice for urban-scale work
- design responses to key drivers of urban change, such as climate, industry, technology and population
- international experience and collaboration through intensive workshops in Asia, Australia and Europe
What you will study
- speculative design proposals for urban sites through project-based work
- the innovation of tools we use to design and deliver diverse and responsive solutions for future growth of cities
- developing innovative approaches to urban based design practice
- history and theory of Asian, European, Australian and global urbanism
- travel to Vietnam, Melbourne and Barcelona for on-site workshops
- coursework in Property Development (PCPM) and Urban Planning (School of Global, Urban and Social Studies)
RMIT offers a variety of learning and teaching approaches including lectures, seminars, studios, workshops, presentations, group discussions and syndicate work. These are primarily in English.
You will have access to the Learning Hub and other online and digital resources through the student portal.
Ongoing assessment throughout the semester includes examinations, essays, reports, oral classes, presentations, group projects, research projects, laboratory projects and practical assignments.
Learning at RMIT
The types of classes you have will depend on the course you’re studying. Classes are offered in various formats designed to provide meaningful engagement with staff, industry and peers and provide for access and use of spaces where learning can be applied and active, including an array of specialised equipment.
Most RMIT courses do not include passive large-scale classes such as lectures, instead the content traditionally provided in lectures is made available online. This may be in the form of readings, videos or other on-demand learning materials. This content will also support the basis of interactive learning that takes place in on-campus classes.