Sorry, this program is not available for local students.
Please contact Info Corner to discuss other study options.
Sorry, this program is not available for international students intending to study on a student visa.
If you hold a different visa type, you may be eligible. Please contact us for more information.
This program combines studies in applied sciences and business management to prepare graduates for changing roles as they progress through their scientific career and into management.
Graduates will be knowledgeable in their major field of study and will be able to work in both scientific and management roles.
You will have the technical skills needed to be a practising scientist and the business skills to be an effective manager and leader - a highly attractive combination for employers.
Your management degree will give you a broad knowledge base of business management, and the applied science component allows you to specialise in one of six majors allowing you the flexibility to create an individualised degree.
In your first semester you will undertake foundations courses in chemistry, physics, biology, accounting and management.
You then choose to major in biological sciences, biotechnology, chemistry, environmental science, food science, or physics while also completing the required business management courses.
Your final year of study includes a science project that may be linked to industry.
Why study at RMIT?
- You will be working with leading researchers and industry leaders in state-of-the-art facilities allowing you to gain skills that are readily transferable to industry.
- In addition to studying courses from your chosen major, you can tailor your program through elective courses. This gives you the flexibility to combine your major field of study with a variety of other science courses.
- Practical experiences are fundamental to the program and you’ll get the opportunity to apply your knowledge and skills to projects. You’ll also have access to state-of-the-art equipment to ensure you are job-ready when you graduate.
International student visa holders can only study full-time.
At RMIT you’ll go beyond the classroom and apply what you’ve learned to real-life problems. You’ll gain hands-on experience working in teams during field studies and excursions, locally and internationally. Projects that involve community groups or companies allow you to put your skills into action and make an impact before you graduate.
Depending on your major, you will have the opportunity to undertake field trips to Lakes Entrance and Camp Jungai. You may also have the opportunity to head to Far North Queensland to Lizard Island or head overseas to investigate an environmental challenge or attend a science camp in China.
Most of your Business Management classes will be held in RMIT's Swanston Academic Building which features innovative learning spaces interspersed with retail and social spaces resulting in a stimulating environment for students.
You will have the opportunity to work on research projects and practical activities, often undertaken in collaboration with industry.
The final-year science project will also provide you with the opportunity to develop an independent research project which can involve an industry partner.
A double degree broadens your career options and gives you a competitive edge.
With this broad range of transferable proficiencies and technical skills, RMIT science graduates are highly sought after.
You may choose to enter the commercial sector, pursue a career in teaching, or you might opt to continue your academic career in research at a master or PhD level.
Your journey in science could lead you to become the next molecular gastronomist, a materials chemist, a nuclear physicist, or perhaps even the next Nobel Laureate.
There are very few organisations that do not employ science graduates. Depending on your area of study and your interests you could end up working in:
- analytical laboratories
- medical and research laboratories
- renewable energy organisations
- chemical processing plants
- educational institutions
- government organisations
- not-for-profit organisations
- environmental consultancies
Graduates are successful nationally and overseas. Many hold key positions in public and private industry, research organisations and government departments.
The management degree allows you to move into fields like research management, technical services management or science business development. The diversity of successful graduates reflects the breadth of the program.
Professional recognition and accreditation
This course is accredited by the following professional organisations:
- Australian Institute of Food Science and Technology (AIFST)
- Australian Institute of Physics (AIP)
- Environment Institute of Australia and New Zealand (EIANZ)
- Royal Australian Chemical Institute (RACI)
As a student, you may be eligible for student membership of number of professional membership associations including:
- Australian Biotechnology Association
- Australian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Australian Institute of Environmental Health
- Australian Institute of Food Science and Technology (AIFST)
- Australian Science Communicators
- Australian Water Association
- Environment Institute of Australia and New Zealand
- Nutrition Australia
- Royal Australian Chemical Institute Australian Institute of Physics
RMIT has connections far and wide - from campuses in Melbourne and Vietnam to more than 120 partner universities and industry connections across Europe, Asia and North America.
Bachelor of Science/Business Management students have the ability to study at an overseas university through the Global Exchange Program. This program includes:
- Cross-campus study to RMIT’s campuses in Vietnam
- Semester exchanges to more than 120 partner institutions in more than 31 cities in three continents
- Short-term study tours and programs to Europe, Asia and the Americas
- International work experience with global companies in Europe, Asia and the USA, as part of RMIT’s International Industry Experience and Research Program (RIIERP).
Program and course information
A leading role in science
Graduates will be knowledgeable in their scientific specialty and qualified for management roles.