International Tuition Fee Scholarships
RIFOS scholarships are funded by the Australian Government and RRITFS scholarships are funded by RMIT University. When you apply for a research scholarship through one of the University’s rounds, you will automatically be considered for all the scholarships for which you are eligible.
Value and duration
Both RIFOS and RRITFS scholarships provide tuition fees for a period of 3 years, with the possibility of a 6 month extension.
The cost of Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your visa is also provided. If you have dependants, both international tuition fee scholarships will provide OSHC that also covers them.
If you are awarded a tuition fee scholarship, your scholarship will be partnered with a stipend scholarship which will provide you with a living allowance.
Scholarships are awarded on the basis of a competitive selection process that ranks applicants according to their academic achievement, research outputs and relevant professional experience.
Priority is given to applicants who:
- have achieved a high distinction in the final two years of the qualifying program(s). At RMIT a grade of high distinction represents an academic achievement of 80% or higher
- may be considered by RMIT as having an equivalent level of academic attainment, taking into account previous study, relevant work experience, research publications and other research experience
- are able to take receipt of a scholarship for a minimum 12 months duration on a full time basis (or part time equivalent) because of prior enrolment in a graduate research program
- have not already completed a graduate research program at the same or higher course level. For example, Masters by Research applicants should not have already completed a Masters by Research or PhD
- an applicant must not previously have held an RMIT or Commonwealth-funded postgraduate research scholarship unless it was terminated within six months of the scholarship’s payments commencing
- are or will be enrolled and primarily based at an RMIT Australian campus
International applicants must meet English language requirements by the application closing date to be considered for a scholarship.
Additionally, successfully recipients of the VCPS must not have undertaken prior higher degree by research candidature in the last three years.
Part-time applications from local applicants may be approved if applicants are able to demonstrate exceptional circumstances as specified in the Research Scholarship Terms and Conditions . Scholarships provided to candidates enrolled on a part-time basis are not tax exempt.
Scholarship applicants already enrolled in a research degree must have:
- more than 24 months remaining of PhD candidature as at 1 January 2019
- more than 12 months remaining of Master by research candidature as at 1 January 2019
You will be considered ineligible for a tuition fee scholarship if:
- you are applying for or undertaking a Masters by Research and you already hold a Research Doctorate, Research Masters or an equivalent research qualification
- you are applying for or undertaking a Research Doctorate and you already hold a Research Doctorate or an equivalent research qualification, or
- you have previously held a Commonwealth-funded postgraduate research scholarship unless it was terminated within six months of the scholarship commencement date
These scholarships are awarded through the University’s research scholarship rounds. All scholarship applications are ranked in accordance with the ranking model that has been approved by RMIT’s Research Committee.
Terms and conditions
As the holder of this scholarship you:
- must commence your studies in the scholarship commencement period in which you are applying
- are not able to defer your studies to another year. If a deferral is required, you must apply again the following year if you are unable to take up your award.
Please refer to the HDR Scholarship Terms and Conditions for further details.
Key dates and how to apply
For information relating to scholarship opening rounds and to apply for scholarship, please refer to the instructions detailed on research scholarships.
See the Research Scholarship Terms and Conditions for more information.
Hobsons Coursefinder – a nation-wide postgraduate scholarship database
SGR Scholarships team
+61 3 9925 5570