Vice-Chancellor’s PhD Scholarship (VCPS)
The Vice-Chancellor’s PhD Scholarships (VCPS) are funded by RMIT University.
There will be no RMIT scholarships available through the usual scholarship rounds for new commencing research candidates in 2021.
An update regarding scholarships will be provided by end of June 2021 for candidates intending to commence their research in late 2021 or 2022.
It is recommended that you check the range of scholarships made available through funded projects, which are still available.
Value and duration
The VCPS provides the following benefits to recipients:
- a stipend of $43,600 per annum pro rata (full-time study) which represents a generous RMIT top up of approximately $15,000 above the RTP rate
- a research support allowance of $5,000 per annum to support research activities
- International candidates in receipt of this scholarship are also awarded an RTP International Tuition Fee Offset Scholarship (RIFOS) or an RMIT Research International Tuition Fee Scholarship (RRITFS).
- All local candidates, Australian and New Zealand citizens or permanent residents of Australia are provided with an RTP Fee Offset scholarship. Applicants in receipt of an RTP Fee Offset scholarship are not required to pay tuition fees for the maximum duration of their candidature.
- a relocation allowance for the cost of relocating in order to take up their postgraduate research program, up to $515 per adult and $255 per child to a maximum of $1,540
- paid sick, maternity and parenting leave (within the limits of the Scholarship Terms and Conditions).
- if you are an international candidate, you will also receive the cost of an Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) policy for your visa duration.
The duration of a Vice Chancellor’s PhD Scholarship is three years full-time, with the possibility of a 6 month extension subject to satisfactory progress. This will be reduced by any periods of study undertaken towards an equivalent research degree prior to the commencement of the program at RMIT University.
Number of scholarships available
In 2019, RMIT University will offer 10 VCPS awards.
VCPS scholarships are awarded on the basis of a competitive selection process that ranks applicants according to their academic achievement, research outputs and relevant professional experience.
To be considered for a VCPS scholarship you must hold, or be currently completing:
- a Master by research
- a Master by coursework with a significant research component graded as high distinction, or equivalent
- a Honours degree achieving first class honours
- a 4 year bachelor degree achieving a GPA of 4 or equivalent (80% or above).
If you do not hold one of the above qualifications, you will only be considered for scholarship if you have previous publications or significant research experience. All other applicants will be considered ineligible.
In addition to the above, to be eligible for this scholarship you must:
- be an Australian Citizen, New Zealand Citizen or Permanent Resident of Australia, or an international candidate who is commencing in an RMIT PhD program from 1 January 2019
- have applied for a full-time PhD program at RMIT.
Part-time VCPS may be approved for candidates with exceptional circumstances (e.g. for medical reasons or due to significant care commitments). Part-time scholarships are not tax exempt. Please refer to the Scholarship Terms and Conditions for further details.
You will be considered ineligible for a VCPS if:
- you have already commenced your PhD program at RMIT
- you already hold a research doctorate, or an equivalent research qualification
- you are currently receiving another equivalent award, scholarship or research related salary providing a benefit greater than 75% of the 2019 RTP base rate to undertake the research degree.
- you have not met the English requirements by the close of the main scholarship round (international only).
These scholarships are awarded through the University’s research scholarship rounds. All scholarship applications are ranked in accordance with the ranking model that has been approved by RMIT’s Research Committee.
Terms and conditions
As the holder of this scholarship you:
- must commence your studies in the scholarship commencement period in which you are applying
- are not able to defer your studies to another year. If a deferral is required, you must apply again the following year if you are unable to take up your award.
Key dates and how to apply
VCPS scholarships are only open to commencing PhD candidates in the main scholarship round.
For information relating to scholarship opening rounds and to apply for scholarship, please refer to the instructions detailed on research scholarships.
- See the Research Scholarship Terms and Conditions
- Hobsons Coursefinder – a nation-wide postgraduate scholarship database
- Other scholarships at RMIT
- How to apply for a research degree
HDR Scholarships Team
Phone +61 3 9925 5570