Sorry, this program is not available for local students.
Please contact Info Corner to discuss other study options.
Sorry, this program is not available for international students intending to study on a student visa.
If you hold a different visa type, you may be eligible. Please contact us for more information.
Engage with the challenges, opportunities and diversity brought about by a changing global environment.
From policymaking in China to community development in South America – an international studies degree will see you experience a range of dynamic careers across the globe.
During your degree you will:
- build your understanding of intercultural, social and political issues and processes
- enhance your employability by learning a language
- develop professional skills in international relations, diplomacy, business and humanitarian policy
- undertake a professional internship with an international organisation either in Australia or overseas
- have access to overseas exchange programs and study tours
- learn from leading professionals in the field who enjoy sharing their knowledge, experience and contacts to prepare you for work and life as a global citizen in a global career
- join a vibrant and active student community
RMIT graduates possess the initiative, independence, language and entrepreneurial skills to face the challenges of working and managing within culturally diverse environments.
If you have a passion for international affairs and cultural diversity, this program will prepare you for a versatile, articulate and imaginative future.
How you will learn
Prepare for the international workforce by applying your skills to real-world case studies.
You will learn and develop professional skills in international relations, diplomacy, business and humanitarian policy.
Learn from leading professionals in the field who enjoy sharing their knowledge, experience and contacts.
Apply your learning in a two-month international internship and 7000-word independent research project.
You will undertake a professional internship with an international organisation in Australia or overseas as part of your studies.
Previous students have completed their internships in organisations and locations such as:
- United Nations, Geneva
- Australian overseas missions in Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, Paris and New York
- UN Development Programme offices in Lebanon and the Philippines
- UN refugee agencies in Turkey and Washington
- International Organisation for Migration in Vietnam, Egypt and Colombia
- Australian Chamber of Commerce in Beijing
- Plan International in the UK and Australia
- non-government organisations (NGOs) and project management companies in Melbourne
During their internships students have supported diplomatic staff, provided services to refugee youth, managed projects at women’s rights organisations and strengthened business ties between international firms.
You'll learn how to research and use those skills in an international research project.
RMIT University is committed to providing you with an education that strongly links formal learning with professional or vocational practice.
Be prepared for careers in a range of local and overseas organisations that have an international focus, including governments, businesses, non-government organisations and community organisations.
You will have knowledge of international systems and global processes, cross-cultural negotiation and management, and strategic and ethical leadership.
Graduate destinations include:
- World Vision
- Asylum Seeker Resource Centre
- international business manager
- international educator
- international aid worker
- international development worker
- international policy adviser
- foreign affairs officer
- civil service
- communications officer
- social researcher
- international political analyst
Apply your knowledge of globalisation, language and culture in international workplaces.
You will participate in a professional internship with an international organisation overseas or in Australia. You will also have the opportunity to join overseas exchange programs and study tours as part of a close-knit and vibrant student community.
On one particular study tour, students travelled to Timor-Leste to learn about the country's war for independence (1999) and the sociopolitical crisis that followed from 2006 to 2008. Students learnt of the circumstances around how the conflict unfolded and gained a sense of its consequences, in particular the possibilities for peace and security in the aftermath. Watch the video on YouTube to find out more.
Students are encouraged to take one semester of the program at a partner university. RMIT University has exchange partners all over the world, including Mexico, China, Chile and more. By combining international exchange, professional internship and international research projects, the program may allow you to be away for an entire year. Financial support is available through scholarships, RMIT travel grants and government loans.
RMIT’s Global Experience Office (GEO) supports students to undertake exchange or short-term mobility activities with over 165 partner universities worldwide.
Program and course information
Become a key player in a rapidly changing global environment.
Indulge your passion for international affairs and cultural diversity and prepare yourself for a highly versatile, articulate and imaginative future.